New MCPD certification: Windows Phone Developer!
Posted by Rubel Khan on July 24, 2011
Introducing MCPD: Windows Phone Developer
Industry forecasts indicate that Windows Phone will become the second most popular mobile operating system by 2015. Do not get left behind! The new Microsoft Certified Professional Developer certification on Windows Phone helps validate a candidate’s knowledge and skills on designing and developing applications for the Windows Phone platform. Candidates can earn the Windows Phone Developer MCPD by passing these three required exams:
- 70-506: TS: Silverlight 4, Development
- 70-516: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework
- 70-599: PRO: Designing and Developing Windows Phone Applications
Some Other Stuff You Should Know About This Certification
- Transcript visibility delayed. While customers can begin earning the MCPD: Windows Phone Developer certification at any time by passing the three required exams listed above, the certification will not be visible on a candidate’s transcript until late September 2011.
- Recertification required. Windows Phone technology is updated frequently. As a result, the skills required to be a successful Windows Phone developer will evolve rapidly. To ensure that developers who hold the MCPD: Windows Phone Developer certification keep pace with the evolution of Windows Phone skills, they will be required to recertify every two years in order to demonstrate continued competence as the skills needed to develop applications on Windows Phone change. Through recertification, we can maintain the value of the certification as the technology changes over time. More information about this recertification requirement will be provided at a later date.
- Your beta exam scores. Though 70-599 is now available in Prometric testing centers, it does take awhile for them to process the beta rescores–up to two weeks after the live exam is published. If you don’t hear anything from Prometric in another week, give their customer service a ring, and have your registration ID handy.
Get Training on Windows Phone 7
Some great resources are available to help developers get started on the Windows Phone platform:
- Programming Windows Phone 7 ebook
- Windows Phone Training Course
- Windows Phone Jump Start videos
- Windows Phone Virtual Labs
- XNA Framework 4.0 for Windows Phones (MSDN)
- The Silverlight and XNA Frameworks for Windows Phone (MSDN)
See the table below for information about training materials and learning plans that map to these exams.
|Exam||Classroom training||Microsoft Press books||Learning Plan|
|Exam 70-516 TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4||10265A: Developing Data Access Solutions with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010||MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-516): Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4||Learning Plan for Exam 70-516|
|Exam 70-506 TS: Silverlight 4, Development||10553A: Fundamentals of XAML and Expression Blend1||Not available||Learning Plan for Exam 70-506|
|Exam 70-599 PRO: Designing and Developing Windows Phone Applications3||Not available||Not available||Learning Plan for Exam 70-599|
- Releases July 2011
- Releases August 2011
- Note that candidates who earn the MCPD: Windows Phone Developer certification will be required to show continued competence in this technology area by recertifying every two years.
Source: Microsoft Born to Learn Blog-post by Krista Wall